At UC Davis there are many resources available to students that you may not be aware of. One resource that cannot go unnoticed is the Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS). The SHCS offers two main services to UC Davis students: health services at the Student Health and Wellness Center and counseling services housed in North Hall.
Student Health and Wellness Center
The Student Health and Wellness Center offers two additional services: health and mental health services as well as urgent care services. These services are available to all registered students. Any health insurance is acceptable, though students may pay small fees or a co-payment for most services. To find more information on the type of fees that you may incur, take a look at Common Fees for Services.
- Health services may be addressed by appointment . The appointment desk phone number can be found here, or you can schedule an appointment yourself by using Health-e-Messaging. Through Health-e-Messaging, you can email your physician, request tests, prescription refills, view lab results, print immunizations, view billing information, and more.
- If your health concern is urgent, you have the option to call or walk in to urgent care so you can be connected with and advice nurse.
- On the second floor of the Student Health and Wellness Center, there is an Optometry Clinic and shop that is also available for students. You can visit the Optometry Clinic for a scheduled eye exam or visit the shop for eyeglasses. For more information on the Optometry Clinic, visit their website.
- On the third floor, massage therapy is available. There is a fee of $30 for a 30-minutes session and $40 for a 45-minute session. This service is great if you are looking to de-stress after a round of midterms. This service is appointment only. If you are interested in learning more about this service, take a look at their website.
- Individual counseling services are available in North Hall on campus. This is a free service to all students. Students may schedule appointments to meet with a counselor for therapy and potentially receive a referral for a community counselor if long-term counseling is needed.
- Group counseling is also available in North Hall. These services function a bit differently than individual services, given the involvement of more people. For more information on how to request group counseling sessions, visit the website link above.
The Mind Spa
- The Mind Spa is another great resource provided by the SHCS, and is available at two locations, at students’ convenience: the second floor of the Student Health and Wellness Center and 132 North Hall. The goal of the Mind Spa is to provide students with a no charge service for relaxation. Services available through the Mind Spa include the Biofeedback Program, Mindful Relaxation, massaging recliners, light therapy, peer support, and chair massages.
- At the end of every quarter, the Mind Spa also puts together a Therapy Fluffies event where a variety of pups visit the UC Davis campus.
- Yoga classes are offered through the Mind Spa, free of charge. Classes are offered on Wednesday at the Health and Wellness Center, and on Fridays at 325 North Hall from 4:00pm-5:00pm.
Don’t miss out on all the resources available to you on campus, they are at your fingertips! It is remarkable how many services one single resource center can provide; I encourage you to explore others.
Genetics & Genomics
BASC peer adviser