So you want to go Part Time?

You might have heard of part time status somewhere through the grapevine but have some questions to what exactly that means and if you qualify. This blog will answer FAQs about this and hopefully give you a clear idea of if part time status is right for you.

1. What does part time mean?
-Undergraduate students can be enrolled in a maximum of 10 units
-Graduate students can be enrolled in a maximum of 6 units
-Tuition will be cut in half
-Minimum progress requirement are waived for the quarter

2. Who qualifies?
-Employment (30 hours or more worked per week)
-Health Conditions
-Accommodation for disability
-Primary Care responsibilities
-Graduating Senior (Undergraduate level and one-quarter only)

A more detailed description of each is included here:

3. Why would you want to go part time?
Everyone has their own reasons but here are some common ones:
-Save money
-Free up time for other commitments
-Remain an enrolled student while taking a lighter load

4. How much are you exactly paying?
-Part time payment is a flat rate of half tuition(it is not per unit basis)
-Residents will pay half resident tuition while non-residents pay half non-resident tuition

5. What about financial aid?
-If you are receiving Financial Aid, you must be enrolled in a minimum of six units for Financial Aid to disburse. Contact the Financial Aid Office before declaring part time status to consider how it will affect your package.

Here is their contact information:

6. What if you are an international student?
-We recommend you consult with the SISS staff before making a decision because it could affect your visa.

You can contact them at the link below:

7. What do you need to do in order to declare part time status?
-You must submit a part time status petition online
(this is available between pass 1 and the 10th day of instruction)

And that’s it!

Anais Stepanian
BASC Peer Advisor
Fourth Year: Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior Major


So you wanna start a student org?

Starting a new student organization might seem intimidating, but if you follow these simple steps then you’ll be good to go in no time. Last Spring I decided to start my own organization called Princess Pals at UC Davis. This is a club where students dress up as Disney Princesses to bring joy to children in hospitals, homeless shelters, schools, etc.  We hold special activities such as tea parties, art and crafts, and story telling. By completing these steps quickly, we were able to become approved in just a few weeks.

1. Choose a name for your organizations

a. The name you choose must not violate the university trademark. You can use the school’s name only to describe location (i.e Princess Pals at UC Davis or UC Davis Princess Pals)

b. While you may have member requirements, they must not be discriminatory (they cannot be based off of protected characteristics such as sex, race, etc)

2. Fill out “New Student Organization Interest Form”

a. You will create a profile with your Kerberos ID and proceed to fill out the form at

b. Keep in mind the purpose and mission of your organization because you will be asked on the form

3. Recruit 4 other currently enrolled UC Davis students to be officers in your organization.

a. This step usually takes the longest! All 4 students must review and verify the form  prior to submission for approval

b. Make sure you get their emails and phone numbers to include on the form and to have for future communication

3. After you are approved as a Registered Student Organization (RSO) you’ll most likely want to create an Agency Account through the school. This will allow you to…

a. Reserve rooms on campus

b. Apply for CFC grants and other on campus financial services

c. Rent equipment from on campus services

To activate your account you will need to bring $35 in cash or check to the ARC business Center along with a printed copy of your registered student organization confirmation email.

Good luck! As long as you follow these steps you’ll be ready to go in no time!

If you have further questions then the Center For Student Involvement (CSI) is the place to go. They are located on the 4th floor of the MU and their phone number is (530)752-2027.

Anais Stepanian
BASC Peer Advisor
Fourth Year: Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior Major