Fall quarter at UC Davis is now working through its 6th week! This seems pretty crazy because I know my brain is still relaxing on those warm beaches of summer. If your brain is still in summer mode, and/or if you need some extra help with courses, a great campus resource to utilize is the Student Academic Success Center (SASC)! This resource offers tutoring, study skills workshops, and pre-graduate advising. SASC is divided into two buildings, Dutton Hall and South Hall. All of the resources offered are free for UC Davis students. Let us highlight the main resources of the Student Academic Success Center.
1. Drop in tutoring: SASC offers tutoring for many subjects, such as, writing, math, chemistry, physics, statistics, and biology.
- Writing: Dutton Hall, second floor, is the place you want to head if you need help with grammar, thesis sentences, or anything writing. They have drop in tutors on MW 8:30am to 4:00pm, TR 8:30am to 3:00 pm, and F 8:30 to 12:00 pm. I have used these tutors many times. They are great for an extra pair of eyes to catch grammar errors or look for clarity in your paper. SASC offers writing specialists that are available by appointment or same day appointments (If you get there early enough to sign up). SASC also offers writing workshops. These workshops focus on helpful topics, such as, “In Class Writing”. For dates and descriptions on workshops please visit:http://success.ucdavis.edu/academic/workshops-writing.html. For more information on drop in tutoring visit: http://success.ucdavis.edu/academic/writing.html
- Chemistry, Math, Statistics, and Physics: Drop in tutoring for math, chemistry, statistics, and physics hours typically range from 9 am to 5 pm, but for a more detailed schedule check out: http://success.ucdavis.edu/academic/dropin.html. There are also workshops offered for general chemistry, organic chemistry, all of the math series( 16, 17, 21), and physics. I love these workshops! They go hand-in-hand with the instructor’s lectures. The specialists who instruct these workshops slow down the lessons and answer a lot of questions.
- Biology: Drop in tutoring is also available for BIS 2A- 2C. They also recently added tutoring for the upper division biology courses, such as, BIS 101, 102, 103 in SLB 1079 for Fall Quarter.
2. Another portion of SASC are the multiple programs that SASC houses. Some of these include: Guardian Scholars Program (GSP), Educational Opportunity Program(EOP), or TRIOs Scholars Program. All of these programs are geared towards supporting under represented students advance in higher education. For information on each of these programs visit: http://success.ucdavis.edu/programs/index.html
3. The SASC offers study skills workshops. These workshops are free to UC Davis students! They are offered multiple times over the quarter and are held in 114 South Hall. Some of the workshops include topics such as Time Management Basics or Success Strategies. For a more detailed list of the workshops offered and times visit: http://success.ucdavis.edu/study-skills/index.html
4. Pre-Grad/Professional advising: These advising centers are located in South hall and offer advising for pre- grad school, pre-health, and or pre-law. The center offers advisers who are specialized in helping students become ready to apply for these programs. For more information visit: http://success.ucdavis.edu/grad-prof/index.html
5. Transfer Reentry Veterans Center (TRV): The center is located in 1210 Dutton hall. They strive to help students who are transfer, reentry, or veteran students. You can visit to the TRV any time Monday-Friday between 9 a.m. – 4 p.m to utilize their many resources such as academic advising or support resources. Some of the support resources they offer include a Graduate School Information or Financial Aid: Renewing the FAFSA workshops. They also offer a range of social activities. For more information please visit http://success.ucdavis.edu/trv/
SASC is a great resource on campus to take advantage of. It offers a diversity of resources for all of the students on campus. Please drop in to South Hall or Dutton Hall to get more information or drop in to BASC, so a peer advisor can point you in the right direction!
3rd year Biological Sciences Major
Biology Academic Success Center Peer Advisor